Its way too early to make a determination on how good AVC will be this year as , all of the players have not yet arrived, we don’t know how dedicated the new talent will be in the classroom, and team chemistry still a question mark. However, Monday’s basketball class was impressive and if this continues and improves it could be a very competitive year for the Marauders. So far here is my early evaluation;
- Good balance in size, athleticism, depth and skills.
- The “Bigs” at AVC this year should make an impact and are competing hard. Rebounding was a weak area last year for AVC.
- The power forwards have skill sets that are going to be a problem for defenders.
- Shooting forwards have good size, athleticism, skills and upside.
- The shooting guards run deep and talented and there is intense competition here.
- AVC will be very strong at the point again this year as usual.
The AVC guys are looking forward to showing off their skills at the 17, 18 July 2015 Summer Shootout. It is an excellent place for the coaching staff and players to test themselves against the best teams in the state, it gives them a realistic view what needs to be improved and weak areas.
Last year AVC lost all four of their games in the July…an excellent test and lesson for the team. By September, AVC regrouped and won all four of their Fall Shootout games.